10 year old 70mph

My 10 year old pitches from 46 feet. He is nearly impossible to hit with one or two kids at the most on each team who have a chance to hit. His normal fast ball stays around 65 but he has been clocked at 70mph. He pitches from low 3/4 rather than over the top. Should I change his natural arm slot?

Ummmm no.

The reason I am unsure is I hear its difficult to throw a curve from 3/4, that he will be restricted on 2nd and third pitches if I don’t change now. I also hear 3/4 will be easier to hit once he is older

If a 10 year old truly throws up to 70 mph wouldn’t change a thing. Putting up some video might be helpful to the rest of us. We might learn a thing or two.

He throws 70mph no doubt about that. But I’m far from having baseball knowledge. Hence the post. But thank you for the comments and future comments about arm slots

There’s a lot of great pitchers who throw plus off-speed pitches from 3/4 slot. Sliders and changeups work much better from that slot. Besides he’s 10. He doesn’t need a breaking ball. Throw hard and work on a change up right now, those two will serve him much better right now.

By the way this guy was a pretty good pitcher from 3/4 slot with a decent slider. haha just saying.

Thats the exact arm slot but from the other side. But his upper body and head is tilted, not as up right as Randy. Man the Big Unit was a beast!

That could be part of the problem why he’s not throwing quality offspeed pitches. Might be pulling off with his head, or a number of other problems.

Let him pitch as he naturally does if he throws that hard. I would try to get him to develop a changeup for now, maybe a curve as he gets older. I know many people who throw from that arm angle and have no problem throwing curves, it’s about how he throws it not his arm angle. If I were to change anything I would want him to be more upright like Randy Johnson as he’s. finishing because it sounds like he’s pulling his head abd that puts stress on the shoulder and negatively affects pitch command.

OK good feedback. I was leaning towards not changing his natural slot. But there are so many “pros” in little league telling me different. Haha He throws a change now but still at 46 feet until next season. Curves and sliders are years away.

Good, sounds like you’ve got it handled! Just let the kid do his own thing. More often than not the majority of his movement patterns are what’s right for him and his body. It’s when coaches go putting kids into cookie cutter movements that things can go array. Best of luck to you and your son!

I should mention that movement patterns in regards to certain things (like arm slot) may be right. Obviously a kid is not coming out the womb and throwing with perfect mechanics. Although, I’ve seen kids who’ve just been taught to throw the ball hard their whole lives have exponentially better movements then kids who’ve been going to a pitching coach since they were 8. So you never know. Make sure whoever is giving you advice actually knows what they’re talking about.

I want to see videos of a 10YO throwing 70. You must have scouts following you everywhere. If he is throwing that fast, there’s no need for him to throw anything else.

How big is this kid? Early maturer?

He has went to two different pitching coaches and they both wanted him to change his slot. It’s hard to agree when his ERA is zero and you can count the season hits against him on one hand. #manchild

He is huge. 5’4 160, wears a men’s 10.5 shoe

Haha exactly why you can’t trust everyone. A lot of coaches still teaching towel drills, balance points, and show the ball to second base…

Pump the breaks. Let his body figure out his arm slot and what is natural for him. Don’t force anything on him. Also, try to keep him healthy. A curve ball is the last thing I would be worried about for a 10 year old. Little League elbow is common and if he really does throw 70 MPH it’ll be tough on those growth plates putting 70 MPH torques on his body/arm, which could impact how they close as he gets older.

Also, as far as the curve ball discussion goes. In my opinion the guys who have the best curves, have the shortest strides. They really get on top and snap it off. Think Ron Darling.

Nothing wrong with the towel drill if you understand it. Unfortunately, it’s been my experience that most folks don’t.

Also, it’s certainly possible to have a long stride and still be able to get on top of the ball.

I do agree there should be a greater concern over hard-throwing youth pitchers. In addition to the increased forces on open growth plates, the hard throwers tend to get used (overused?) the most.