1 pitcher, 3 slots...now what!?

My 9 year old can throw equally as well from any slot.
(which is really pretty accurate)
He is a natural 3/4 converted to tophand but now all of a sudden he turns out to have a very natural sidearm as well.

I am not really sure what to do with this to be honest.
Should i ignore it or should we practice on it? (he loves his sidearm lol)
I dont want him to become a sidearm pitcher but from the looks of it it can come in pretty handy if he can change slots ingame?

A luxury but confusing problem!
tnx

(In addition: Hes just converted to tophand and the reason for the conversion where not for accuracy purposes.
Since we are really early into this i truly believe he can now (in this stadium) can throw as accurate from any slot.

…so now what?)

He sounds alot like me. What I did, Is just went with what I was most comfortable with (sidearm). Now with the luxury of being comfortable in other arm slots, I often mix in other slots during the game. It really sucks to be a batter when that happen. Its a great luxury to have, and many people will be jealous of it!

Wow…never seen that happen ingame!-)
How does it effects training?
Lets say you are supposed to throw 100 pitches during a training…now you will have to divide these pitches among your arm slots…or train twice as much?-)

Honestly I dont know how you would split it up. I suppose he should focus on one, but keep the other ones still “alive” so to speak. It isnt an easy thing to do, go from one or the other, but just throwing it in every once in awhile is perfect. In my game I releived. I pitched probably 35 pitches. About 5 of them were over the top, which I could have done more. Its all about comfort. Thats the biggest key. He does sound alot like me though. Im impressed! lol I started directly over the top, then went more to low 3/4, then regular 3/4, back to low 3/4, then sidearm. And on top of all that, I enjoy throwing a little submarine in practice! Its all about comfort. i would never go all the way down to submarine in a game, Im not comfortable enough yet. But who knows. Each slot has Pros and Cons. Good Luck! and tell your son hes not alone! lol

Think Orlando Hernandez—“El Duque”. There was a pitcher who could throw from several different arm angles, and he used them all, and he gave batters no end of conniption fits. I saw him pitch many times when he was with the Yankees, and I always got such a kick out of watching him. If your kid is heading in that direction—being able to use several arm slots effectively—by all means let him continue to do so. And I have one suggestion: whenever he throws sidearm, it would be to his additional advantage to learn to use the crossfire—this ia a beautiful and deadly move that works only with that delivery, and it will work with any pitch. :baseballpitcher:

Thanks man…we are from europe so we dont get the chance that much to walk into such a pitcher. Is there by any chance some video out there of OH where he uses different slots?-)

I dont think i want him to throw from all the slots…i basically wanted him to throw from the tophand slot…thats why we converted from 3/4 in the first place.

But now it appears he can throw sidearm just as easily…accept there was no need at all to convert…he could just do it from pitch one. So there came the luxury problem…
Anyway, i think you guys cleared it up that its ok to have multiple slots if you can handle them and its also ok to use it ingame.

So now one more question:
What is a crossfire?
We are from europe remember-)

And one more now we are at it:
What is supposed to be the target when pitching in a practice environment.
We commonly use a 30 pitch routine to see how many strikes he can get over the plate.
Usually he will have like 18 strikes, 10 around the zone and 2 lost pitches.
I guess thats not to bad for a 9y old who just started out but i cannot say its good either because we dont have any reference material.
(yep you guessed it…europe!)

So out of 30 pitches…how to determine whats good or bad or pretty good or excellent? Of course 30 out 30 would be ideal but since batters will swing at basically anything around the zone maybe that could be factored in as well?
In other words…do borderline pitches count for anything? lol

Anyway…thanks all, i love this forum already.
Hopefully it will be a place to talk about pitching which we so badly miss in…yep you guessed it!-)

tnx for your time!

Well, first of all, welcome to the land of the home run and the sacrifice fly, the fast ball and curve and slider and all the other things that make up this great game we call baseball.
Now. You asked about the crossfire, and so I shall tell you. This is a move—a beautiful and absolutely lethal one—that works only with the sidearm delivery. I’ll describe it from the righthander’s standpoint because that was how I pitched. You go into the windup, or the stretch, and it does help if you stand toward the righthand side of the rubber. Then, instead of pitching directly to the plate, you take one step—a normal one, it doesn’t have to be too big—toward third base, whip around with the whole body and pitch to the plate from that angle. To the batter it looks as if it were coming at him from third base, and he jumps out of the way only to have it clip the corner for a nice juicy strike.
And the crossfire will work with any pitch—even a knuckleball.
Next, don’t worry about injuries—not with this delivery. Sidearm is the easiest and most natural—lots of major-league pitchers use it—and the least likely to mess up an arm or a shoulder, because they’re parallel to the ground, you don’t have to twist in all sorts of unnatural positions. So if the kid is really comfortable with it, let him use it! 8) :slight_smile:

Your practice situation I would take into effect close strkes. Because of what you said. People willswing away at anything close. And at that level I do believe umpires have a little bigger strike zone I agree completely with Zita as well. Crossfire is great if you can get cofortable with it. I wish I started out crossfire when I was 9. I’m working hard on getting it comfortable for me as of right now. It takes a little adjustment. Especially if you’ve gotten used to over hand mechanics and where and how your feet/legs move. Maybe introduce it to him and see how it goes. It deffinelty takes a little getting used to.
Also to go off of what Zita said. I strongly believe sidearm is the most natural way to pitch. If you look at action photos of professional pitchers throwing over the top there arms are all contorted and in uncomfortable positions. Sidearm is much more fluid and just feels better. Ive been much much much less sore after pitching sidearm than over the top. Often I’m not sore at all. Alot of people will tell you sidearm is the worst and hurts your elbow and such. But I think if your comfortable with throwing that way it doesn’t really effect you like that. People who say stuff like that obviously aren’t comfortable with sidearm.
Sidearm is a great techneque and when paired with crossfire and other arm slots. As your kid progresses he will become a deadly pitcher