0-2 what is the best pitch to throw?

In an 0-2 count what is the best pitch to throw to get the batter out?

That all depends. If you’re blessed with a 97-MPH fast ball you can throw that one and just blow it by him. But if not, think about this—how did you get that 0-2 count on the batter in the first place? Was he taking all the way, or did he swing and miss or foul off a pitch or two? Is he sitting on a particular pitch—for example, is he looking for a fast ball, or maybe a changeup? And has he, perhaps, shifted his position at the plate, maybe looking for something he can hit to the opposite field? (You’ve heard the old saying, “Take two and hit to right”.) Whatever you decide, you have to keep the ball away from the middle of the plate.
When I pitched, many moons ago, I often got an 0-2 count on the batter. Not having a fast ball to speak of, I had to go to the snake jazz, and boy, did I have a good deal of that! But one thing I was not afraid to do is go after the hitter with a slider, because that was my best pitch and I knew I could count on it to at the very least get that hitter to either pop up to the second baseman or strike out. So you might consider—whatever your best pitch is, use it. :slight_smile:

Thanks

What pitches do you have? Ian.

I believe it solely depends on what your best pitch is and what pitches you threw to get 0-2. For me most of my pitching sequences look like this (even though I haven’t pitches this year yet).
Let’s assume I get it 0-2.

1. Knuckleball
  2. Knuckleball
  3. Knuckleball (outside the zone)

And if that doesn’t get him out.

1. Fastball

thanks for the post

Regardless of what pitch you throw on 0-2, do it within a plan for what you want to throw 1-2.

Thanks for the post

Reply to “ian demagi”:
What pitches did I have? Well, there was a good curve ball which came attached to my natural sidearm delivery (doesn’t happen often, but it did so in this case). Next:
Knuckle-curve
Palm ball
Slider (my best pitch, the one I could go to when I had to go for the strikeout)
Changeup slider, which I never even knew I had
"Slip" pitch—that’s a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip, and I could do it several ways
Circle change
"Whoops" pitch—believe it or not, that was something else I never even suspected I had—a four-seam fast ball, 81 miles an hour, and my coach told me that for a finesse pitcher that was a fast ball
Slow curve
The crossfire—that’s not a pitch, but a move that works only with the sidearm delivery, and I used it so much that one day my coach said to me while we were working on the circle change, “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” :lol: And believe me, I made good use of it.
Quite an arsenal of “snake jazz”, eh? Well, when you don’t have the blazer, you have to do something. And I did. :slight_smile: 8)

I have 3 pitches fastball, circle change, and 12-6 curveball.

[quote=“Zita Carno”]Reply to “ian demagi”:
What pitches did I have? Well, there was a good curve ball which came attached to my natural sidearm delivery (doesn’t happen often, but it did so in this case). Next:
Knuckle-curve
Palm ball
Slider (my best pitch, the one I could go to when I had to go for the strikeout)
Changeup slider, which I never even knew I had
"Slip" pitch—that’s a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip, and I could do it several ways
Circle change
"Whoops" pitch—believe it or not, that was something else I never even suspected I had—a four-seam fast ball, 81 miles an hour, and my coach told me that for a finesse pitcher that was a fast ball
Slow curve
The crossfire—that’s not a pitch, but a move that works only with the sidearm delivery, and I used it so much that one day my coach said to me while we were working on the circle change, “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” :lol: And believe me, I made good use of it.
Quite an arsenal of “snake jazz”, eh? Well, when you don’t have the blazer, you have to do something. And I did. :slight_smile: 8)[/quote]

Thanks for giving us an essay, oh, those were the pitches you threw.

My mistake

(overall, was it really necessary?)

Yes…it was very necessary indeed. As I said, I didn’t have a real fast ball, so I had to go the other route. The important thing was, it worked very well for me. :baseballpitcher:

0-2 you should be tryin to get the hitter to case your pitch e.g a fastball up ad out of the zone or a curve in the dirt

Depending on your pitch count and reliability, you may want to waste a pitch, like throwing a dirty curve to go out of the zone.

This is a bad idea when:

1. You have been having consistency problems and throwing balls. (no point in wasting a pitch when it may be your only opportunity to throw a strike)
  2. If your pitch count is higher, you may just want to attack and not tally another pitch on your count.

i’d throw a high hard fastball. something out of the zone, but looks enticing to hit. get’m all the time! :lol:

I don’t have to depend on my offspeed because kids don’t hit that well against you when you constistantly hit your spots, so I end up throwing a lot of fastballs.

You have a point on that. My curve doesn’t exactlly go 12-6 but I goes more 12-6 than others peoples curves.