FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

Knuckle vs. Spike Curve?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
throwinched
Minor League
Minor League

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2008    Post subject: Knuckle vs. Spike Curve? Reply with quote

Is there any difference between a knuckle curve and a spike curve? i throw one with the nail of my index finger dug into the horseshoe part of the seam and then my middle finger along the long seam. i know that some people throw one with the first knuckle of their index finger against the ball as opposed digging the nail into the seam.
"I'm going to beat you physically with everything I do in this gym. If that fails, mentally I'm going to look you in the eye and beat you. If that fails, my emotions come into play. Then boom! I'm in sync, I'm hitting my spots."
jamesh23
Minor League
Minor League

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you throw a spike curve?
futureKazmir

the knuckle curve's nickname is the spike curve because of the way to spikes down in the dirt. SAME PITCH
throwinched
Minor League
Minor League

alright good so i'm not crazy, they are the same pitch...i think it's called a spike though because of the way your index finger looks when its tucked against the ball...it really gives me the tightest rotation of any curve grip that i've tried and i feel like i can throw it harder
"I'm going to beat you physically with everything I do in this gym. If that fails, mentally I'm going to look you in the eye and beat you. If that fails, my emotions come into play. Then boom! I'm in sync, I'm hitting my spots."
TCtheDON
Little League
Little League

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Lincecum throws a spike curve. It another name for an absolute hammer curveball. Just 'spikes' straight down.
xv84
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCtheDON wrote:
Tim Lincecum throws a spike curve. It another name for an absolute hammer curveball. Just 'spikes' straight down.

No, he does not. That is not the reason for the name of a spike curve. A spike curve is just another name for a knuckle curve, because you "spike" your finger into the ball. A "true" knuckle curve was what Burt Hooton threw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: