FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

how do u throw a curveball???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlepitcher562
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2006    Post subject: how do u throw a curveball??? Reply with quote

okay, ive looked at the pitching grips at the home page of the website. So, all u have to do is cock my hand to the right(cause im a righty0 and sanp the ball at an angle, and thats all i have to do?? plz, i need some help on how to thro this pitch
jdfromfla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't push it!
Every single authority that I have ever actually spoken with (Including the folks on this site) has urged that the curve is a pitch that a kid should wait until after puberty to throw. Some of this authority includes a major league pitcher that had Tommy John surgury, former Brewer, Bo Mullins now head coach of Nease High School in Florida, Rick Wilkens former Cub who caught Greg Maddox's 1st Cy Young season, Dusty Rhodes and Bob Shepherd current head and pitching coach's for the University of North Florida. If these guy's say it, then you as a 13 yr old should listen, the truth is that the reason they say it is selfish........they all want pitchers at a later age who haven't used up the gift they are given.
Work on throwing your fastball to any location, work on perhaps a nice knuckler, but save the arm strain. By the time you are well into puberty I gaurantee you will have figured out the basic mechanics of a curve. I can say this because of your evident desire to learn. Why be a hero in park ball when you can play High School, college or pro's with a sound arm?
Roger
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the curve ball is thrown correctly, it is only slightly harder on the arm than throwing a fastball. So from this standpoint, you don't need to wait until puberty to throw the curve. However, the complete answer is that is must be thrown correctly and the number thrown should be limited (unlike what you might see if you were watching the Little League World Series Mad ).

BUT, not all coaches know how to teach the curve ball correctly. Furthermore, it's next to impossible for the human eye to see what the throwing arm is doing in realtime to determine if a pitcher is, in fact, throwing the curve correctly. Therefore, there is a danger that a pitcher could be throwing it incorrectly. This is probably the best reason for waiting until puberty.

In any case, I feel kids will attempt to throw them on their own so it's better to teach them to throw it correctly.
jdfromfla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, you've contradicted yourself. Where does littlepitcher find a "properly taught" curveball teacher? Actually it isn't a hard pitch to learn or teach. The problem that I have seen time and time again is that the curve for a young kid is such a wipe out pitch (LL World Series comes very rapidly to mind) that they can't help themselves....unfortunately many times niether can his coach, so they both throw it improperly, exaggerating the arm movement (What I call spinning a curve) and over use the heck out of it, as long as they can stand the arm pain and still win games. This makes them the "Hero" of the league, but does great damage for their future prospects.
I think the only way we as folks that care about kids playing baseball can effectively counter this, is to maintain the same line with consistancy. Just like when you tell kids to stay away from ***** until marrage, you know that a few will fail but if you offer them something else that they can have success with and make sure they know it is something they need (For their own good) to wait for, we can start to change some behaviors.
I think the world and Little League baseball are starting to see wisdom in this and ultimately it will change.
terprhp
Major League
Major League

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD ... very well said, you are right on target .
Roger
Administrator
Administrator

JD,

I'm not sure how I contradicted myself. I said that throwing a curve correctly is physically not much worse than throwing a fastball. But I also pointed out that its numbers need to be limited and there is the risk that coaches might not teach it properly nor have the ability to visually confirm that pitchers are, in fact, throwing it correctly. I even pointed out that the curveball gets overused in the LLWS. I think my comments and your comments are in agreement.

As for finding a teacher who can teach the curveball properly, how about Tom House? I'd suggest going to http://www.nationalpitching.net/ and getting the video called "Safely Throwing a Major League Curveball". This is the website of Tom House's organization called The National Pitching Association. The video does a good job about talking about how to throw a curveball safely and what causes injuries when throwing curveballs the wrong way. By the way, you can also go to http://www.nationalpitching.com to see their more commercialized website.

Last edited by Roger on Mar 27, 2006; edited 1 time in total
terprhp
Major League
Major League

Regardless of which camp you're in concerning the potential physical implications, every curve ball thrown is one less fastball ...
jdfromfla
Administrator
Administrator

Roger I was pointing out that you said that it could be safely thrown and then said few can teach it well. I'm not picking an arguement with you, I know that it can be done in a way that has less impact (FYI my son is a dominating curveball pitcher whom I thaught the pitch to....threw a complete game this evening and struck out 15).
My point is that when the conventional wisdom....(All of them guys) knash their collective teeth when they see how often it is used and mis-used, (I thought Harold Reynolds and Jeff Brantley were very clear with their disgust at the last LL W/S), even Dante Bischett said he wasn't going to allow Dante Jr. to pitch after that tourney. You have to say that it is time to draw a line and start working kids away from the pitch until later in puberty.
I also am aware of the volumes of reference material available out there. The problem is that although it exists, the vast majority of Little League associations and coaches do not avail themselves of it....just us geeks who have nothing better to do than argue theory on sites like these. Laughing
raiderbb
Minor League
Minor League

if you are throwing it right the only difference between the curveball and fastball is grip - nothing else. no more harmful.
but id rather see our young kids learning to pitch throwing fastballs and changes. and we emphasis that. young kids cant hit curve balls. so its automatic out and the pitcher learns nothing about pitching.
Kingsport, Tn.
FirstBaseMan
Rookie
Rookie

I read once from this site that you have the reach the age of 13 before actually start throwing the curveball to throw it at a speed that you will like certainly, try to master your fastball first then you can get the basis of the curveball by asking people that actually use it and has thrown it in games
raiderbb
Minor League
Minor League

no - you need to be coached by somebody that actually knows what they are teaching not by asking somebody that throws it. dont think you actually read that on this site. not all of us agree on stuff but its intelligent baseball people agreeing to disagree.
Kingsport, Tn.
Roger
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdfromfla wrote:
Roger I was pointing out that you said that it could be safely thrown and then said few can teach it well. I'm not picking an arguement with you, I know that it can be done in a way that has less impact (FYI my son is a dominating curveball pitcher whom I thaught the pitch to....threw a complete game this evening and struck out 15).
My point is that when the conventional wisdom....(All of them guys) knash their collective teeth when they see how often it is used and mis-used, (I thought Harold Reynolds and Jeff Brantley were very clear with their disgust at the last LL W/S), even Dante Bischett said he wasn't going to allow Dante Jr. to pitch after that tourney. You have to say that it is time to draw a line and start working kids away from the pitch until later in puberty.
I also am aware of the volumes of reference material available out there. The problem is that although it exists, the vast majority of Little League associations and coaches do not avail themselves of it....just us geeks who have nothing better to do than argue theory on sites like these. Laughing

JD,

You can throw the curveball safely and it is hard to find someone who can teach it properly. That's not a contradiction. But I know you're not trying to pick an argument. No problem there. This is a good discussion. I understand your points and they are just as valid as any. To me, this boils down to a philosophical issue. You're right that something needs to be done - a line needs to be drawn. If you truly believe you can keep kids from throwing curveballs even when the coaches aren't around, then abstinence may work. But I have the opinion that kids are going to try throwing that curve when they're playing with their friends and no knowledgeable person is around. Then they'll tell their coach that have a curveball and you know what follows. I think education has to be part of the answer. I think it is better to teach kids to throw curveballs the right way so they never learn to throw it the wrong way. Coaches also need to be educated so they know the right way to throw the pitch and so they know they need to limit the number thrown.

BTW, you might be a geek but I prefer "dweeb". Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: