FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

Just looking for some feed back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let's Talk Pitching Forum Index -> Pitching Mechanics & Analyses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachbhhh
Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2012    Post subject: Just looking for some feed back Reply with quote

Hey guys, Happy Holidays!

We are just looking for some feed back. This video was shot in October of this year. My son was 14, he just turned 15 this month.

Link
jdfromfla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice inning Cool

Feedback....hummmm

He has a strong upper and not much lower.
Right now is when you learn conditioning.
Make certain diet and grades are first and foremost.

He'll find more fb movement when he does "get it" with the lower half and it sync's to his top..it may drift his arm slot lower, I wouldn't worry too much if it does (Timing drives that aspect...and likely it will "find" him a nice sinker). A nice clean delivery like this is somewhat common at this age but the whole body needs to be involved; A) To increase velo and B) To handle the load of hs ball (And susequent hi level travel/showcase stuff).
Over the years it's pretty much proved itself out that the "all arm" kid is going to top at at 85 and then he'll cast around for methods to improve velo from there. Long Toss, weighted balls, "intent"..things like that will be thought about and debated...I've found that an entire body approach (Conditioning, other sports, strength training, diet, mental approach) appears to succeed when adhered to as a discipline..you may have "some" success if you choose and adhere to a single path (Most "plans" do register improvement initially) but if all aspects aren't "fortified" there will be consequences...Start with grades and work down...bad grades..no play, bad diet...conditioning fails, bad conditioning...joints fail, forget fielding...injury...no arm vitality...velocity damages..it's all on his plate...desire, determination...effort.
I suggest you get as much recorded as you can.
Have his pc develop a long term.."how do I get to...X" plan.

The crucial thing right now for him is continue to hone his art, condition, ensure that he is fully understanding about arm care, bodily vitality is key...over-all fitness not sports specific to the exclusion of everythng else.

As much competition as his arm health will allow...
Turn 22
All Star
All Star

Wow, JD very nice post. I read through it looking for anything to add and I couldn't find a single thing. Kudos Very Happy
Baseballthinktank.com
All Star
All Star

Personally, I think you speed the kids tempo up and you see a different guy. It will influence more of everything, try it. Get him to step out of his comfort zone and challenge him to get the entire delivery a little faster.

I would especially concentrate on speeding up the center mass (top of thigh to belly button), , it will FORCE the arm to move faster. Think of it as positive Peer Pressure Smile
Zita Carno
Legend
Legend

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2012    Post subject: RE: LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK Reply with quote

It was mentioned that the whole body needs to be involved. Exactly! I remember how, many moons ago, I used to watch the Yankees' Big Three pitching rotation in action during pregame practice and in games, and I noticed how they would drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, thus generating the power behind their pitches---and in so doing, take a lot of pressure off the shoulder and arm so they could throw harder with less effort. I called this "The Secret", and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that I was doing exactly what they were doing, and although I never did increase my velocity to any great extent---I just wasn't that fast---I too could throw harder with less effort, and I discovered that my natural sidearm delivery had more snap and sizzle to it!
Although I'm not much of one for drills, I would recommend one called the "Hershiser" drill which aims to get the hips fully involved. It requires no special equipment, just a fence or a wall, and one can find instructions on how to do this on this website. Cool Smile
coachbhhh
Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdfromfla wrote:
Nice inning Cool

Feedback....hummmm

He has a strong upper and not much lower.
Right now is when you learn conditioning.
Make certain diet and grades are first and foremost.

He'll find more fb movement when he does "get it" with the lower half and it sync's to his top..it may drift his arm slot lower, I wouldn't worry too much if it does (Timing drives that aspect...and likely it will "find" him a nice sinker). A nice clean delivery like this is somewhat common at this age but the whole body needs to be involved; A) To increase velo and B) To handle the load of hs ball (And susequent hi level travel/showcase stuff).
Over the years it's pretty much proved itself out that the "all arm" kid is going to top at at 85 and then he'll cast around for methods to improve velo from there. Long Toss, weighted balls, "intent"..things like that will be thought about and debated...I've found that an entire body approach (Conditioning, other sports, strength training, diet, mental approach) appears to succeed when adhered to as a discipline..you may have "some" success if you choose and adhere to a single path (Most "plans" do register improvement initially) but if all aspects aren't "fortified" there will be consequences...Start with grades and work down...bad grades..no play, bad diet...conditioning fails, bad conditioning...joints fail, forget fielding...injury...no arm vitality...velocity damages..it's all on his plate...desire, determination...effort.
I suggest you get as much recorded as you can.
Have his pc develop a long term.."how do I get to...X" plan.

The crucial thing right now for him is continue to hone his art, condition, ensure that he is fully understanding about arm care, bodily vitality is key...over-all fitness not sports specific to the exclusion of everythng else.

As much competition as his arm health will allow...

JD thanks for taking the time to watch the video.

Its good to hear some of the things you’ve spoke of. I preach grades first all the time. As of right now he is still in honors. His diet… Well we will have to work on it since he eats just about everything, 15 ya know, lol… As for arm care he has been doing the Jaeger arm band long toss program since 11U, with other things mixed in like speed and conditioning. This year we have started to get more involved with strength specifics too.

We are also trying to get back to more out of his core. He used to have a longer stride too but we made the mistake of a pitching coach who got him away from that. We have heard coaches say he needs to shorten his delivery, but I think he needs to just speed it up and be what I like to say stronger to home. He works hard and I’ll do just about anything to help him achieve his best. So time will tell I guess.

Thank you for your time.
coachbhhh
Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth

Cool
Zita Carno
Legend
Legend

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2012    Post subject: RE: JUST LOOKING FOR SOME FEEDBACK Reply with quote

See what happens when you get mixed up with a pitching coach who doesn't know his elbow from third base? I guess nobody told him that you don't EVER mess with a pitcher's natural motion---you work with it and show that pitcher how to make the most of it. But then, most coaches at the lower levels of the game don't know their elbows from third base.
I would suggest that you and your kid find a good professional pitching coach---maybe even an active or just recently retired Triple-A or major league pitcher---to work with the kid and help him get back to what he used to do that worked for him, then build on that and expand his capabilities. I was really fortunate in this regard; the pitching coach I hooked up with, and worked with for almost four years, was a member of the Yankees' Big Three rotation in the late 40s to mid-50s, and he firmly believed that every pitcher has a natural motion. What I learned from him was nothing short of priceless; he helped me become a better pitcher than I had been! Very Happy Cool
Roger
Administrator
Administrator

Agree with the others - pitcher needs to better use lower half to get center of gravity moving forward both sooner and faster. Recommend making small incremental adjustments as he'll need to find that point that works best for him. Often, trying to make too big of an adjustment leads to frustration and abandoning the concept altogether.

Also, be sure to use stride length as an indicator of having done other things well - not as an end goal.
CoachPaul
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the responses to this thread are on the money.

If I could suggest one thing that may help what BBThinkTank touched on about speeding him up. Sometimes it's necessary to just teach the body to do things more quickly. Just like a hitter who needs more bat speed doesn't swing a weighted bat, he swings a slightly lighter bat so his body gets a feel for moving faster.

Like Zita said about the Hershiser drill and wall drills to get you moving forward, which is very important, moving forward with speed is essential for increasing velocity.

In the off season, I'll have pitchers throwing into a net as hard as they can not from a delivery motion, but let's call it from an outfield throwing motion complete with the extra step before unleashing into the net. Tell them to try for max distance and start them on low repetitions until they can work up to 3 sets of 15. Take 3-5 minutes rest between sets to simulate sitting down between innings and to give the arm a break. Getting a feel for how fast your body can actually throw and being comfortable with it is vital, in my opinion.

Another coach mentioned conditioning. I agree, but be sure to put in a ton of work on strengthening the decellerator muscles at first because your body will only speed your arm up to the point which it's able to slow it down. Make body balance a critical goal. Equal time on accelleration and decelleration muscles.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let's Talk Pitching Forum Index -> Pitching Mechanics & Analyses All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: