FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

Best Pitching Drills for Mechanics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> Youth Pitching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoachBob
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2011    Post subject: Best Pitching Drills for Mechanics Reply with quote

I am a coach of a U12 team and am looking for some suggestions of 5 (or more) of your best pitching drills that would instill proper mechanics and form.

Does anyone have a few pitching drills that they really like that they would be willing to share?

Thanks!
Roger
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the NPA's drills - especially for teaching younger pitchers mechanics that aid performance and health:

o 2-knee drill
o rocker drill
o hershiser drill
o crossover drill
o wall drill

Mechanics to focus on include;

o postural stability
o momentum and leading with the front hip
o glove control
buwhite
Legend
Legend

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think working on balance and posture in the post is very important.

Next crossover drill and bucket drill.

Of course all of this in addition to lots of throwing and bullpens at least once a week.
Zita Carno
Legend
Legend

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite is the "Hershiser" drill, which aims at getting the hips fully involved.
One complaint I have seen frequently on this website is the pitcher having difficulty because he's been throwing with just the arm and the shoulder, when what he needs is to get the whole body into the action! I learned long ago, from watching how the Yankees' Big Three pitching rotation did it, is that by driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seems, seamless) motion they all were generating more power behind their pitches---and taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so that they were throwing harder---and faster---with less effort (even Ed Lopat, who was not a fireballer). I picked up on that, worked with it, and got results. So when it comes to drills and exercises for mechanics, the "Hershiser" is one of the best. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> Youth Pitching All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: