FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

grey lacing on a pitcher's glove?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let's Talk Pitching Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pointlesskid
Junior High
Junior High

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2011    Post subject: grey lacing on a pitcher's glove? Reply with quote

i was thinking about relacing one of my black gloves with grey lace. Is it allowed under NCAA rules? I've seen people in the majors (ie. Brandon League) who have gloves with what looks like grey lacing but it's tough to find a good picture on Google of it. Just want to make sure it's okay before i go through with it. thanks guys
Coach Baker
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any issues with it.

This thing about a pitcher's glove and the distraction that it can cause a batter can be taken to the extreme - on both sides of the fence.

I had a pitcher who had a basket weave section on his glove that had a rip in, a large one at that. I wanted him to use another glove but - that was his lucky glove. (go figure)

As soon as the first batter step'd in - he complained that the white of the ball, showed through his glove so much that it was a distraction. I made the point that the ball wasn't white - it was a dull white-ish brown due to the umpire's rub - but no luck, back to the dugout and get another piece of hand-n leather.

So, unless you've got some kind of tinkerbells where you live, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. On the other hand, don't go looking for trouble by lacing your favorite piece of cow hide with Tweety-pie-purple.
(believe it or not - I've seen it!) Dozey

Coach B.
CoachConley30
Varsity
Varsity

As we all know there are also many umpires espcially at youth levels who are always looking for some type of any thing in order to let people know they are there as well as in charge. Rather then take the premise of if I am a good umpire and simply to my job to the best of my ability and hustle non one will remember who I was after the game is over because I was not trying to be seen and simply did what I was there to do.

Im not up to speed on the particular rules pertaining to gloves because I have not even looked at for a while but thanks to these posts I am going to freshin up a bit on it.
Zita Carno
Legend
Legend

I wouldn't go looking for trouble if I were the pitcher. Rule 1.15a is very clear on this matter; it states that the pitcher's glove shall be uniform in color, including the webbing, lacing and stitching, and cannot be white or gray. So if Brandon League is using a grayish lacing on his glove he's asking for trouble, because the umpires are watching out for any sort of infraction or violation.
scorekeeper
All Star
All Star

pointlesskid wrote:
i was thinking about relacing one of my black gloves with grey lace. Is it allowed under NCAA rules? I've seen people in the majors (ie. Brandon League) who have gloves with what looks like grey lacing but it's tough to find a good picture on Google of it. Just want to make sure it's okay before i go through with it. thanks guys

Whenever you have a question on the rules, its always best to 1st take a look at them. But before you do anything, make sure the rule you’re looking at is the right one! The NCAA rule book is a free download here: : http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4183-2011-2012-baseball-rules-2-year-publication.aspx

Actually, the way it looks, you’ve stumbled into a rule change for this season. Nice job! As you can see, the wording has been changed about the pitcher’s glove. Now how that rule is chosen to be interpreted is a matter for the umpires and the rule’s committee, but as Zita said, why look for trouble? Is it that important to make a fashion statement?

Also, remember that the rules MLB uses are not not the rules used by the NCAA or the NFHS! When you get to nit picky stuff like this, save yourself a lot of time and trouble and only use the correct rule book as a reference.

Gloves or Mitts
SECTION 13.

c. Every player except the catcher and first baseman is restricted to the use of a fielder’s glove not more than 12 inches long nor more than 8 inches wide.

2010 Approved Ruling. A.R. 2—The pitcher’s glove may not be white or gray in color nor contain white or gray lettering.

2011 Approved Ruling. A.R. 2—The pitcher’s glove must be black or brown.

PENALTIES for a., b., and c.—
(1) A violator shall be given reasonable time to correct the situation. If it is not done, the violator shall be ejected from the game.
(2) If a catch is made with illegal equipment, the offensive team has the choice of taking the play or having the play voided with the pitch being made again (see 8-6-b).
JP
Minor League
Minor League

A couple of years ago an opposing coach took issue with our pitcher's glove. He felt the small white Nike swoosh would be distracting to his hitters. A black Sharpie fixed the issue as did our pitcher who struck out the side in the top of the 1st. It was all I could do to bite my lip as I walked past their dugout to the coach's box Very Happy
pointlesskid
Junior High
Junior High

Thanks for the replies everyone. Interesting rule change for the NCAA taking out all blue, red, orange and other coloured gloves. I hope my new camel coloured one is considered "brown".
I must say though, the new rule is very vague. I feel that you could argue that it refers to the predominant colour of the glove but you guys are right, hardly worth the risk. It's only a backup glove and i have a long trip back to school so i might relace it grey just to pass the time...
CSOleson
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointlesskid wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Interesting rule change for the NCAA taking out all blue, red, orange and other coloured gloves. I hope my new camel coloured one is considered "brown".
I must say though, the new rule is very vague. I feel that you could argue that it refers to the predominant colour of the glove but you guys are right, hardly worth the risk. It's only a backup glove and i have a long trip back to school so i might relace it grey just to pass the time...

I would say that most the guys here are right, why bother risking it? There is nothing that people forget about more than the politics of baseball. The umpire should always be the guy to be taken care of. Make sure you don't wear jewelry, don't have a white/grey glove as a pitcher, anything that can be debated about remove. Even make sure that the umpire has water on the hot days and a pair of hot hands on the cold days. You may just find that calls will go your way more often. It is a part of the game often overlooked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let's Talk Pitching Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: