FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

College pitchers..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanner Lorenz
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2005    Post subject: College pitchers.. Reply with quote

when I watch college baseball, I see very few pitchers hit the 90's, so does this mean if i throw 90 as a junior I have a good chance of pitching at a quality baseball program, but, does that mean a senior that throws 85 will pitch too because thats about average speed of college pitchers.......your thoughts
Wales Diesel
Legend
Legend

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion,

If you're throwing 90 as a Juinor, yes you will have a very good chance to go off to a top end school, infact I would guess you are going to be recruited by many, many schools, and probably are gettign alot of invited to go off to camps this year. Also MLB teams will probably be in good contact with you. If word gets out about you.

A guy throwing 85 will also see a fair amount of attention and could also wind up at a DI, and even have contact with MLB teams.

FYI my buddy who in his senior year threw 83-86 in HS last year was told he would probably be taken in the draft on the second day, opted not to and is now at a JUCO but had many many schools make offers to him.

Speed is not everything.

In college you can find guys throwing 90+ in any level, but as you say you don't see too many of them.

But that also has to do with Redshirting due to injury, academics or the Coach or player feeling that they aren't ready to perform on the college stage just yet. Along with those guys being taken in the draft.

I can give you 3 examples of guys who throw 90+ Two didn't play cause of the Coach feeling that they weren't ready yet to pitch at that level, the third only got into 1 game all year.
RTusk40
Major League
Major League

There are not a lot of people who throw 90+ at D1 programs as a lot of people think there are. Some programs have more. Most pitchers "touch" 90+ but will sit in the upper 80s. I myself can touch 92 but will sit in the 87-89 range sometimes maybe 90. If you are throwing 90+ as a jr, you are going to get a lot of good looks from good, quality programs and a lot of MLB teams. I've heard around that the average major league fastball is only 87-88mph. If you really think about it, there are not that many pitchers who sit in the 90+ range, and those who do are superstars.

If you are throwing 90+ as a jr thats great, you will get some quality looks from some good quality programs. Just remember to spot, one of out pitchers this fall was throwing 90-92 in a few of his outings, but he got hammered all over the park because he couldn't spot. Thats always the key!!
Tanner Lorenz
All Star
All Star

yeah, i agree, control has a lot to do with all pitching, but..i have really good control also, but it is kind of hard to get attention when you live in a small town in north dakota, the only scouts ive talked to are ones that scouted my dad, and their pro teams, but, is JUCO, junior college??
Steven Ellis
Administrator
Administrator

I disagree that it's hard to get drafted out of "small town America." More than half of the high school draft picks that I played with and against in the Chicago Cubs organization were from towns that don't even show up on AAA maps.

The state of Nebraska (very rural!) routinely has as good or better baseball teams than most big-time southern or western schools. Creighton U. and Univ of Neb., for example, are outstanding teams comprised of mostly in-state kids from very rural parts of the state. Yet, they're always in the College World Series in Omaha.

Ryan's right, too, about throwing 90 mph in college ball -- most pitcher's don't throw that hard. Most big leagueres don't, either. Most sit at 85-88 mph (and they're still considered really hard throwers).
Tanner Lorenz
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Ellis wrote:
I disagree that it's hard to get drafted out of "small town America." More than half of the high school draft picks that I played with and against in the Chicago Cubs organization were from towns that don't even show up on AAA maps.

The state of Nebraska (very rural!) routinely has as good or better baseball teams than most big-time southern or western schools. Creighton U. and Univ of Neb., for example, are outstanding teams comprised of mostly in-state kids from very rural parts of the state. Yet, they're always in the College World Series in Omaha.

Ryan's right, too, about throwing 90 mph in college ball -- most pitcher's don't throw that hard. Most big leagueres don't, either. Most sit at 85-88 mph (and they're still considered really hard throwers).
but their arent ne good colleges like nebraska or creighton in north dakota
centerfield2150
Superstar
Superstar

Erstad was from North Dakota. He actually played at Nebraska. (Baseball and Football [Outfield and Punter]

Played in the ALCS this year, it can be done.

"Practice as if you’ve never won, perform as if you’ve never lost, and make sure you leave it all out there on the field, because it will be over sooner than you think."
-Adam Revelette
RTusk40
Major League
Major League

Do you play in any summer teams in the dakotas? if so I played on one called the "Indiana Bulls" and we traveled all over the US and got seen by many different schools across the United States. This helps as wel..
Tanner Lorenz
All Star
All Star

yea, i pla legion ball up here and we took 5th in state this year, thats how the mlb scouts saw me, but we dont go outa north dakota unless we win state, which we prolly will this next year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: