FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

short arming the baseball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chew1109
Major League
Major League

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2009    Post subject: short arming the baseball Reply with quote

I've heard the term "short arming" the baseball numerous times by the baseball population. What does it mean to short arm the ball?
ZW#17
Major League
Major League

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just means having a shorter throwing motion, I don't like to say it like this but not making a full circle. You see catchers and middle infielders do it all the time, some pitchers sort of do it, like Brian Fuentes. Nolan Ryan also had a pretty short motion, in my opinion it's not really a bad thing and can help you hide the ball but some may disagree.
dusty delso
Superstar
Superstar

i think when someone tells you he's shortarmming, most of the time it is a timing issue. they break out of the glove and get the ball up behind their ear too quick, and their body never catches up. they release the ball before the body unwinds releasing energy.

there are a few that do get the ball in way too close to their head but i have found that they are rare. most guys that people say shortarm are doing it right. nolan ryan and greg maddux do what many consider shortarmming. i'll stick with those guys. you can call me whatever you want if i'm doing what those guys are doing with arm action.
Zita Carno
Legend
Legend

When Ed Lopat was with the Chicago White Sox he learned both the long-arm and the short-arm deliveries from manager Ted Lyons who was himself no slouch as a pitcher. It gave Lopat twice as many pitches. One day he showed me how to adapt the short-arm motion to my sidearm delivery, and he told me something very important: that using the short-arm motion will make the ball go up in the strike zone, and that can be very useful if one is facing a very good low-ball hitter who has trouble with the high pitches. So I had both the long-arm and the short-arm motions.
kevinbert28
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare Freddy Garcia/Jason Motte to Roy Oswalt, you'll see what short-arming and long-arming looks like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: