FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

What are the Max bench press weights for MLB pitchers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> Pitching Workouts, Throwing & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoysauce
Major League
Major League

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never been able to bench my body weight. Would being able to do this increase my velocity? The most I have ever done was in high school 165 @ 185 lbs. Now IM 220 bigger stronger but havent had a chance to flat bench in a while.
MkLoe
Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im asking this question because unless your genetically gifted, you need to be strong all around to be able to pitch at a major league level. No matter how much a 6' 170 pound normal athlete throws odds are that he'll never pitch 90 unless he puts on muscle and weight. Im that average guy and my current strength level doesnt allow me to throw over 90, yet the more i train and lift the closer and closer I get. It'd be nice to train with a goal in mind.

5'8 145 pounds
Bench 170
68 mph

5'9 160 pounds
Bench 200
81 mph

5'10 175 pounds
Bench 225+
?? mph

Goal is 90+mph
CSOleson
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MkLoe wrote:
Im asking this question because unless your genetically gifted, you need to be strong all around to be able to pitch at a major league level. No matter how much a 6' 170 pound normal athlete throws odds are that he'll never pitch 90 unless he puts on muscle and weight. Im that average guy and my current strength level doesnt allow me to throw over 90, yet the more i train and lift the closer and closer I get. It'd be nice to train with a goal in mind.

5'8 145 pounds
Bench 170
68 mph

5'9 160 pounds
Bench 200
81 mph

5'10 175 pounds
Bench 225+
?? mph

Goal is 90+mph

I don't think that the bench is the only factor you should be looking at. I would look at the three lifts that train the body, being squat, hang clean, and bench. Remember that a pitcher cannot just use his arm, he needs to be explosive as well, and that is what these other two workouts achieve. Hang clean is about power of the body as a whole, squat is more about leg and core strength. What are your numbers for those?

Also, have you been clocked using a jugs or a stalker?
Circle-Change 77-79 mph
Slider 80-82 mph
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MkLoe
Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think that the bench is the only factor you should be looking at. I would look at the three lifts that train the body, being squat, hang clean, and bench.

I agree
Quote:
you need to be strong all around to be able to pitch at a major league level

I dont like squat, I heard its really bad for knee's so I do leg press, My max leg press is 750 and I havent really included hang clean in my wokrout routine but I can try it out and let you know

I was clocked on a jugs the past 2 years. Why?
CSOleson
All Star
All Star

MkLoe wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that the bench is the only factor you should be looking at. I would look at the three lifts that train the body, being squat, hang clean, and bench.

I agree
Quote:
you need to be strong all around to be able to pitch at a major league level

I dont like squat, I heard its really bad for knee's so I do leg press, My max leg press is 750 and I havent really included hang clean in my wokrout routine but I can try it out and let you know

I was clocked on a jugs the past 2 years. Why?

I personally feel that it is good to squat because you get the whole body into the workout, and if it is done properly, it shouldn't be bad for your knees. I would for sure try and incorporate the hang clean into the workout, it is a good way to build explosiveness.

As for the jugs vs stalker, there can be a 1-2 mph difference in either way, I was just curious if you had only been clocked with one versus the other.
Circle-Change 77-79 mph
Slider 80-82 mph
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MkLoe
Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth

So is like 4.3:1 leg-press to body weight ration good?

What about a 1.3:1 Bench to body weight?

And what would be a good ratio for hang clean.

I know there is no magic number, I'm just wondering what the ballpark range is that professional pitchers are in
dodgerfan3
Major League
Major League

Around 200-250 or for a big guy like one C.C. or lackey or anyone else probably around 300
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> Pitching Workouts, Throwing & Nutrition All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: