FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

How to Make a Portable Pitching Mound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let's Talk Pitching Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoachBob
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2009    Post subject: How to Make a Portable Pitching Mound Reply with quote

I coach youth 9-10 boys. This year will be our first year for pitching. (Not coach pitch).

I would like to have more than one mound for the team to practice pitching.

I'm interested in making a portable fiberglass pitching mound for my team and to use at home.

Does anyone have any instructions on how to make a one that they could share?
rtbaseball11
Major League
Major League

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_sports_additions/article/0,2037,DIY_13931_2278306,00.html

Maybe that will help.
jhorton
Junior High
Junior High

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some 3ft by 3ft foam blocks at a factory that was thowing them out. One like bow hunters would use. I cut and glued them into the shape of a mound. then cover it with 2 layers of 24 oz fiberglass cloth and wet it out with resin. after it cured I cut out the foam and covered it with artifial turf. the foam was only used as a mold in this case. If you use plywood in this case you would not be able to separate it from the fiberglass. the mound is light and strong. You can find all the materials at Lowes or Homies.

Jim
SomeBaseballDad
Minor League
Minor League

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiberglass I can't help you with, but a guy who works for me and does wood working on the side made some nice ones for our TT. I can take some pics if you wish.

They are kind of heavy but a fraction of the price of a new one.
Coach Baker
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoachBob, I made this post a while back with respect to making a pitching surface that your asking about. It may offer some suggestions and considerations that might come in handy before you start building.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improvising is "at first" an idea that crosses every coach's mind at the youth level. I've seen gym mats folded ....to kids practicing off ramps used for handicap access, and so forth. Basically, trying to simulate the frontal slope of a mound is the desired result here.

However, if your trying to start your season with 12U, a flat surface does offer a better chance to work on the basics - form, delivery, accuracy and so on. This is an alternate choice, instead of using a poorly prepared surface that's found on most public playgrounds and the like.

And while we're not talking pro ball here, portable mounds are built with definite design considerations. They have a non slip surface that's made and applied so as not to come appart with repeated landing. The bottom surface has a non skid texture so the entire unit doesn't slide accross a gym floor - which is a very deliberate safety minded point in manufacturing, and the bottom is also designed so it doesn't scare or mark the gym floor.

Another consideration with making something "make-shift" is the legal aspects of this thing and its users. If you bring in something that you made at home, or, you put together some stuff from your institution, school, league --- you're not a designer of sports eqt, your not a pro contractor of sports eqt, and so on. You should chedk with your insurance agent before starting this.

I offer this advice because I've witnessed some really strange accidents in my time -- and when a son is hurt, parents seem to have a very narrow window on the world, not to mention some guy standing next them wispering in their ear saying ... "you know if it were my kid!!"

Coach B.
quaff
College
College

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Baker wrote:

Another consideration with making something "make-shift" is the legal aspects of this thing and its users. If you bring in something that you made at home, or, you put together some stuff from your institution, school, league --- you're not a designer of sports eqt, your not a pro contractor of sports eqt, and so on. You should chedk with your insurance agent before starting this.

I offer this advice because I've witnessed some really strange accidents in my time -- and when a son is hurt, parents seem to have a very narrow window on the world, not to mention some guy standing next them wispering in their ear saying ... "you know if it were my kid!!"

Coach B.

Great point - youth leagues have extensive safety guidelines dictated by the national leagues, and bringing a home-built mound to practice could violate that and possibly the league's insurance policy as well. An accident might do as much damage to the local league as to the kid.
Dsmith
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the little league mound I made for My son. Remember LL mounds are 6" in Hiegth I believe the radius is 12' the slope is equal to 1" of fall to 1' of travel here is a pick http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/coranick/Corassoftball009.jpg
oc2viking
Minor League
Minor League

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dsmith - what is the length and width of your mound? I have something similar - but it needed to fit in the back of my Expedition so that I could get it to and from our practice facility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let's Talk Pitching Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: