FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

Why when i throw my fastball it always goes in the dirt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let's Talk Pitching Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ark50000
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2012    Post subject: Why when i throw my fastball it always goes in the dirt? Reply with quote

I fixed the problem of always throwing it outside. Now i am having the struggle of always throwing it in the dirt. I can throw the ball so fast but it just goes straight into the dirt. Am i releasing it too late? Am i not bending my elbow enough? SOme people tell me i am not bending my elbow and that i am throwing all arm. I am gripping it right. I have a decent stride. But if you could tell me or list reasons why this might happen so i can work on it i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
plaz
Minor League
Minor League

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

video.
Turn 22
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need Video.
BIGK
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bringing your release point up first
But a video would be helpful
Zita Carno
Legend
Legend

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2012    Post subject: FAST BALL ALWAYS GOES IN THE DIRT Reply with quote

One of the other posters mentioned that you've been throwing all arm, and I see this as a major problem. When a pitcher does that---throws with just the arm---he's letting himself in for big trouble, not to mention potentionally serious injury to said extremity. What you need to do, and right away, is get your whole body into the action---work on driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in rapid-fire sequence to generate the power behind your pitches. When you do this the energy travels through that lower half up to your shoulder and arm in one continuous motion, and in the process this will take a lot of pressure off them. Your arm will feel as if it's just going along for the ride, and you'll get better control of all your pitches---not just the heater. I learned to do this many decades ago by watching the Yankees' Big Three in action and seeing just how they used their lower half. Another point---you say the ball is always going in the dirt. You just might have the beginnings of a good splitter, and if you can get the hang of that pitch you could have a nasty weapon at your disposal. You might think about your arm slot---possibly change that, throw somewhere between 3/4 and sidearm, and for Pete's sake, DON'T OVERTHROW---too many fireballers tend to do that! Abpve all---relax. Think about the guy at the plate and how you're going to get him out. And don't forget to follow through---finish your pitches. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let's Talk Pitching Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: