FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

Where to stand on the mound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baseballkid111
Minor League
Minor League

PostPosted: May 10, 2010    Post subject: Where to stand on the mound Reply with quote

I am asking this question because i was told my a retired scout that my pitches are kind of inconsistent but he said my velocity was great and that i throw really hard.

For a right handed pitcher are you suppose to stand on the left hand side of the mound or the right hand side of the mount. I was told to stand on the right hand side of the mound. Although i hardly ever see any professional baseball pitchers doing this. Usually i stand on the left hand side of the plate like everyone else.

Also sorry for all the questions. I just like this forum because people give me good answers.
TCB_Pitcher05
Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: May 10, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righties generally stand on the left side of the mound. lefties on the right side. Generally so you have room for your step-back from the windup or to hit the outside/inside corner better.
Sunsetblud
College
College

Technically for the hardest angle on the batter and most deception you should be pitching from the side of the mount that your pitching arm is. Right - right side, left - left side. How much harder do you think it would be for a batter if the angle of the ball was coming in from a foot further behind them. In the end you dont want to be throwing straight, you want to have as much angular movement as possible.
Roger
Administrator
Administrator

You can either use criteria based on some perceived effect on the batter or you can use criteria based on your own performance.

An example of some criteria based on perceived effect on the batter is "righties on the right side, lefties on the left side" to create angle from which the pitch approaches the batter. In this case, however, if you consider the geometry of the matter over the distance from the mound to home plate, it doesn't change things that much at the home plate end of the picture.

An example of some criteria based on the pitchers own performance is moving to a place on the rubber that minimizes postural changes during the delivery. Your place on the rubber combined with your stride direction can lead to a significant posture shift during your delivery. This effect of this very well could be worse than any benefit you get by "creating angle". The NPA uses your back foot drag line to determine where you should stand on the rubber. Not all pitchers have a back foot drag line although many to most do and there could be other issues you can fix (e.g. posture and/or glove) to obtain a drag line.
Zita Carno
Legend
Legend

There really is no hard-and-fast rule regarding where one should stand on the rubber. I have seen a few pitchers move from one side to the other depending on the batter they're facing---notably Jose Contreras, who does this consistently, and when he has his good stuff the batters are unable to pick him up. You do what is comfortable for you and what enables you to make the best use of your stuff. Cool
kenja
Major League
Major League

PostPosted: May 11, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends with you deliver. Im a right handed pitcher, and I stand on the left side, but when I go from the wind up, my right leg, is on the right side of the rubber. I do this because when I throw, I tend to throw late or my arm slot release lets it go from a diagnal, since i hit the corners.
Circle Change
Iceman778
Junior High
Junior High

PostPosted: May 15, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks foe the info
Jon Knudson
Little League
Little League

PostPosted: May 20, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Zita in that you should throw from the spot on the rubber you feel most comfortable with. Usually, that means "where you are throwing strikes from"! Like Contreras, I (as a right hander) pitch lefties from the left side of the mound. I have a 3/4 arm slot and the sink that creates allows the ball to start out behind lefties. Overall, I suggest feeling it out and keeping track of what positiion on the hill suits you best. Very few guys I see use the same spot these days..
Steven Ellis
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: May 20, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what's been said... Orel Hershiser used to move all over the rubber during games. It's so subtle to the hitter's eye, they he usually won't notice. Yet it can have a big impact on your ability to spot up your pitches, especially if you already have a lot of natural movement. I didn't. I pitched from the right side all the time.
Pitchng Pa
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: May 21, 2010    Post subject: Everybody is right! Reply with quote

Normally I would say that a right handed pitcher would benefit from moving far to the right side of the mound. The batter is going to have to contend with a pitch coming into the plate from a harder angle than you would get by putting your release point in the middle of the mound. The taller you are the more you benefit from the vertical angle that creates. If you are a batter, your objective is to keep the bat in the zone as much as possible. If a pitch is coming down into the zone at about a 30 degree angle and the bat is coming towards it at a 30 degree angle then the batter has more possible points of good contact than if the angles were far apart. eg an upper cut against a flat pitch. Couple that with an increased horizontal angle created by moving far to the right and the pitch will reduce the potential for great contact at the plate. So my vote is for righties on the right and lefties on the left. Now if you have a screwball or a pitch that breaks back into the batter it may work for you to move to the middle and saw off the bat with an inside tailing fastball.Everybody is right depending on your situation.
Rcms29
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: May 26, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that often the side of the mound you throw from has to do with the type of pitches you throw.

Example being someone with a big, think zito, breaking ball will want to throw from his arm side of the mound to increase the chances of throwing strikes and buckling knees.

2 seam Change-up heavy pitchers would seem to have more success throwing from the glove side of the rubber, same thinking applies.

These being things I observed through D-1 and a brief minor league stint.
ThinkPitching
College
College

PostPosted: May 27, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the general discussion we've seen here shows how everything depends on the type of pitcher you are.

My thought has always been if you were a pitcher who A) had a lower arm slot or B) didn't have much movement on his pitches, you would stand on your arm side on the rubber.

If you did have good movement on your fastball (i.e. Tim Hudson/Derek Lowe), stand on the other side of the rubber to allow the pitch to barrel into the hitters hands. For example, if you're right handed, the fastball would ride into a right handed hitter or you can back it up on a left handed hitter.

Stu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: